As you can read below, Green Mountain Coffee and JustMeans have partnered up for the Change Climate Change contest. It’s an interesting combination of social media-based contest, submissions of ideas comments and voted on by readers, and traditional grantmaking, requiring all submission to also fill out a grant proposal for their requested funding.
I’m quite interested to see how this combination works out, especially as it relates to the number of submissions, participation of non-submitted parties (others who comment or vote for an idea but haven’t submitted one themselves), and the influence of the public voting over the final grant awards.
Do you have a guess at how it will play out? I’d love to hear it!
Change Climage Change: Grant Proposals Open
Green Mountain Coffee will provide four grants for $200,000 each (payable over 5 years) to support the work of reducing climate change. To participate in this contest, you need to submit your idea on JustMeans and fill out the full grant proposal from Green Mountain Coffee.
Climate change is not a problem that can be solved by a single entity – be it government, business, civil society, or individuals. We believe that long term solutions will come from the combined efforts of all of the above. While government will play an important role, we need not wait for government direction to take steps to understand, reduce, and mitigate our share of GHG emissions.
One grant will be made in each of the four categories of: Threats to Coffee-Growing Communities, Transportation-Related Emissions, Building Political Will, and Empowering Individual Action. Submissions close March 21st.
- February 16th: Call for idea submissions and full proposals.
- February 16th – March 21st: Public comments on ideas.
- March 21st: Deadlines to submit grant applications – 12:00 AM EST
- March 28th: Finalists announced and reposted on JustMeans.com.
- March 28th – April 3rd: Public comments on ideas.
- April 3rd: The public challenge ends and the final judging begins.
- April 22nd: Winners announced on Earth Day
The Changing Climate Change contest requires submitters to post ideas to JustMeans as well as submit a complete grant proposal.
- Submit your idea to JustMeans
- Comment on other ideas and support your favorites
- Submit your grant proposal to Green Mountain Coffee
- Find out more about the four areas of focus