The June Community Builder chat focused a lot on listening, engaging, and supporting communities with organic and emerging conversations and goals. It was a great discussion with a bunch of new participants, and quite a bit of sharing!
Some of the highlights discussed for engaging your community included:
- In terms of participation from community, we welcome posts and mentions with positive affirmations. Thank you’s and encouragement.
- It is also important to not the difference between goals and norms of participating. The trick is in trying to keep them synced up.
- @FNHC is doing it with their hub initiates, in my opinion anyways. Its messier and more time consuming but worth in in end
- I find that its critical to step back and help the community let itself emerge. Even the language used to enage has to be carefully crafted to avoid priming and group think
- I think that every community needs goals. Yes, think about the Starbucks communities. You know they want to sell coffee at the end of the day but they do much more than that.
Join the next #CommBuild chat:
- Date: Thursday, July 21st
- Time: 4 pm EST (1 hour)
- Topic: Community Building, of course!
- Location: Launch the chat here (not live until the chat starts)
About the CommBuild Chat:
These monthly chats originated out of the #4Change network and are open to anyone interested in learning and sharing about building community, on and offline, with the use of social media or other technology tools. If you have a topic or question you’d like to explore in an upcoming chat, feel free to let me know anytime!