Last month, I moderated the June #4Change chat with the topic of “community building”. There were some excellent ideas and tips, and generally great conversation. The problem for me with the chat was twofold:
1. Twitter fail. It has become a regular occurrence for our monthly #4change chats to find Twitter not even working. This has meant some chats haven’t happened, some have stopped early or operated on a very slow conversation, and others (like last month’s chat) have moved off twitter and onto another platform all together. What this says to me is that the chats aren’t successful because of Twitter, but because of the people engaged.
2. One time. The #4change chats are once a month events that have taken place over the last year. Each month there’s a new topic. We’ve covered some really interesting areas and engaged with a diverse network. We also have a great core of participants that contribute to every chat (you know who you are, rockstars!). The problem for me is that I’m far more invested and interested in certain topics than others (naturally) and I don’t have an outlet to discuss regularly in the same way. In the last chat, there was a lot of mention and enthusiasm for a monthly chat specifically on community building. And I’m here to say I’ll make it happen – if you’re with me!
Launching Monthly Community Builder Chats
I can’t do this without you 🙂 So, I’d love to hear from you about how we can design this together to be most successful, and then we can get started!
Please take just a few minutes to share your responses to the questions below in the comments.
I’m asking that you use the comments (instead of a survey or something) because I want responses to be public (if you want a response to be private for any reason, you can always email me) and provide opportunity for discussion and response.
- Why do you want to participate in a chat about community building, community management, and community driven projects?
- What kind of chat is most valuable to you: presenter w/ q/a, moderated chat but no “presenter,” open conversation space?
- Is once a month good?
- Where should these conversations take place? (Twitter despite the fails? CoverItLive? Other platforms?)
- Anything else you want to add!
I’m really looking forward to your responses and hoping that we can launch the first monthly chat in August! Thanks for all your contributions and ideas in advance 🙂