iE Boston Marketing and TiE Boston Social Entrepreneurs present:
The 140-Character Mission: How Social Media Revolutionizes Social Entrepreneurship
Date: Wednesday, April 8, 2009
Location: MIT room 3-270 (click for map)
77 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02139
Time: Networking and dinner begins at 6:00pm
Register: to save your spot
The question is: Are the two disciplines of “Social Media” and “Social Entrepreneurship” friends on Facebook?
Absolutely, we say. The common adjective is no accident. Already Twitter, Facebook, and the rest are revolutionizing the business and marketing of social impact. Every day, it seems, another grassroots effort testifies to these platforms and their ability to spread a message to thousands, even millions. Followers become funders, messages become movements, and social networks beget social change. (They can even help elect a new president.)
On Wednesday, April 8th, we are convening a panel of experts and high-impact entrepreneurs at MIT to ask, How does the speed and reach of social media alter the formulas for successful social impact? What happens when marketing evolves from broadcast to conversation, fundraising changes from large donors to e-microdonations, or collaboration moves from sweaty basements to vast social networks?
Please register and join us as we learn and engage about the use and misuse of Twitter, Facebook, and the rest.
Panelists include (bio’s also available):
- Brian Halligan | CEO and Co-founder | HubSpot | www.brianhalligan.com (@bhalligan)
- Ken George | Head of marketing and new media | WBUR Boston | www.kenrgeorge.com (@kengeorge)
- Gradon Tripp | Founder | Social Media for Social Change (SM4SC) | www.gradontripp.com (@gradontripp)
- Joe Waters | Director of Cause Marketing | Boston Medical Center | www.selfishgiving.com (@joewaters)
- Social entrepreneur case presenter: Sam Vaghar | Managing Director | Millennium Campus Network | www.mcnpartners.org (@samvaghar)
- Remotely Twittering guest: Amy Sample Ward | Consultant and Blogger | www.amysampleward.org (@amyrsward)
P.S. If you’re already on Twitter, follow the conversation and share your thoughts on social entrepreneurship with the hash tag #tiese. Or go right now to twitter.com and tweet this:
“Check out this great panel on social media and social entrepreneurship: http://bit.ly/April8 — It’s 4/8 at MIT in Cambridge, MA. #tiese”